Saturday, August 25, 2007

Parenting Conference

We spent all day today sitting in on a very informative parenting conference. It was titled "Grace Based Parenting". The speaker was funny, well spoken, and I agreed with so much of what he said. Steve and I talked about what he presented and pinpointed some areas that needed work with our own parenting skills. We talked about how to remedy these little problem areas and thought we were onto something grand. Well, however much we learned, someone, it seems, has forgotten to explain all the rules to our kids! We are still having the nighttime battle. They have been in bed for over an hour now and they have gotten up multiple times already. Our new system for giving our strong willed children more choices and control seems to be failing already! Steve has had to go in and determine where the scary purple light was coming from and now is off to determine where the scary green and red lights are coming from! How they come up with this stuff I will never know! Fortunately for them they have a daddy that is great at riding the world of scary lights! (Apparently, a best friend and favorite cousin have told them there are purple lights and fires in the bathroom! I'll have to make sure I thank their mom.)

1 comment:

MamaBear said...

I don't know about you, but every bit of grace goes out the window when they start that nighttime business. I tell mine when I kiss them goodnight that "Mommy's off duty now" ... if they call me back into their room after I've turned out the light it costs them dearly the next day in the form of extra chores. Loved the story about the red and purple lights! Last night at our house it was a scary man who was coming to our state from Iowa just to track us down. Where do they come up with this stuff???