Thursday, January 17, 2008

A good reminder

I am very tired but just wanted to check in and tell you a little about my day. I kept a friends two kiddos today. She has gone to care for her parents for a few days and her husband had to go to meetings today. They were really good and played well with mine. It actually made for a very nice day. I had to take them to run several errands today. While driving down the street we passed a cemetery. One child spoke up and said look at where those people die. Of course I am just driving and had not even paid attention to the cemetery. So this statement wakes me up and now I am looking for dying people on the side of the road! The other child says, "No that's where they just lay their skin." Now the wheels are turning in my head. I have been missing mom terribly lately. I keep wanting to tell her something or ask a question, but mostly just chat like we used to. You know that comfortable idle talk we girls like. So this statement came at such a good time for me. It reminds me that mom's skin is there but she isn't. It made me remember some things I tried to keep my mind on when she first passed away. I would think about what I thought she might be doing in heaven at that very moment, who she had breakfast with, what life long question had she finally found the answer to today. This simple statement reminded me that this life is only dress rehearsal. Our "final act" is in fact eternal. She is now living in God's presence. How awesome is that?!
Thank you dear little friend for pulling me back to reality and reminding me of our true hope!

4 comments:

MamaBear said...

What a great reminder, and one I really needed today. I've been missing my mom a whole lot, too, and keep having to pull myself back to the knowledge that what she has now is what we are all preparing for. Life in heaven is eternal, and this life here on earth (praise God) is not. Someday, dear friend, this pain and emptiness that we must live with for the rest of our lives will end.

I wonder how many times our moms have had coffee together ... how many conversations they've had about us??

Anonymous said...

what a sweet story Angie and thanks for sharing it with us. We can all benefit from it. Love, Becki

Star Molegraaf said...

Great reminder- i will keep praying comfort for your ache.

Anonymous said...

Out of the mouth of babes! Great reminder. You can always call me to chat. I realize it's not the same but I promise to make you laugh! ~Shannon