Thursday, October 4, 2007

"I miss Mor-Mor!"

These were the words spilling out of my little girls tear streaked face last night as we were going to bed. She had moped around for about 30 minutes saying her day just wasn't going good. I had assumed she meant it was bedtime and she did not want to go. She started out by saying she had something to tell us. She then relayed the story of the little boy in school who was talking to her and got her in trouble with the teacher. I tried to make light of the situation as it was seeming to upset her so much. We talked a little about it and then said our prayers. She was not happy but seemed content. So, I sent them off to bed. Next thing I know she is coming back into our room. I am just about to give her the "just go to bed" speech when I look up and see tears welling up in her eyes. I still think she is upset about school. Then as the tears start rolling down her face this statement, "I miss Mor-Mor" comes tumbling out.

I can not tell you how heartbreaking this was to me. We have witnessed this several times since March. Things will be rocking along and suddenly things are turned upside down. We have all cried on our way to school. Usually I fight these very sad moments off by talking about mom and how much she loved them both. We tell stories about what she used to love to do with them and for them. This works very well most days. This time though I pulled her into my lap and began my usual reminiscing when I remembered a small box in my closet. I went and go the box and we opened it up to find all sorts of mom's and grandma's things. I put on a pair of reading glasses and asked them to guess who's they were. Suddenly I hear "Mor-Mor's" from two smiling children. We pull out several pairs of glasses, passports, hankies, a bracelet, and pins. The more I pull out the more they smile. We tell several stories and then they trot off to bed.

I am telling the same stories over and over. One of their favorite stories is about mom taking them to church on Wednesday night and taking them to McDonald's afterward for ice cream. She would take them in and let them play and buy ice cream on the way home so they would have more time to play. They were really to little to eat ice cream in the car. They would be covered in ice cream and require another bath. (They usually had one before church.) Then on top of the chaos they would be all wound up from excitement and sugar!

Now, this is where I am going to ask for your help. I would love for you all to send me stories about mom. I would love to have new material to tell the kids and they would love to know new things. You may put them under the comment section, if you are not signed up to blogspot as a user, you may post in as an anonymous blogger, just sign the story with your name like you would a letter so we will know who wrote it. Since I moderate all comments (we had some weird entries before), you can tell me if you do not want them to be posted. Otherwise I plan to post these for everyone to read. You may also send them to me in the mail or by email. I appreciate your cooperation in advance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie,

Josh and I were trying to think of a story that you can tell the kids. This is the best we could think of...


One time when Josh and I were watching the kids, we took them to Kohl's, picked up some McDonalds and then went to MorMor's house to eat and watch a movie.

Hogan asked for some ketchup. So Mor Mor grabs some ketchup packets out of the change box in the cabinet.

The ketchup turned out to be extremely old. It was so old that it was BLACK, darker than BBQ sauce. Uncle Josh didn't pay any attention to the color and gave it to Hogan anyway. Monica freaked out, but the kids didn't pay any attention. (for the record, I don't think Hogan ate it)

After we took the kids back home, Uncle Josh told MorMor about the old ketchup. She laughed and said "it didn't kill him, but don't tell Angie."




Josh said he will think of some better stories. His memory of things before basic training is a little shady.



love,
Monica

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I read your blog and now I'm crying too. Girl, you are so strong because I don't know how you kept from sobbing with Sarah and Hogan. My heart breaks for them. You seem to handle it pretty well in front of all of us. I hope you're at least venting to Steve.

I have a few memories but no real stories to share with the kids. For some reason, I've blocked out or forgotten so much of the "daily routine" that took place at your house. But here are some things that I remember:

The first time I saw her she was getting out of the mini van at New Life. I remember her being pregnant with Josh and wearing that crocheted shawl that she wore ALL the time....long after it went out of style! I remember thinking, "Isn't she a little old to be having a baby?!" Ha! (Stupid teenagers...what did we know?)

Then I remember coming out of your house one day and there's your mom sitting in a lawnchair in the backyard and there's Josh with her...totally naked...he was around 2. (By this time nothing I saw or experienced at your house surprised me!) She had a big jug of water that she was getting him to drink. This was all in an attempt to potty train him. I remember her giving the explanation that she was told that was one way to do it. (I don't remember if her "method" worked or not...I'm just glad he's grown up knowing that it's NOT okay to walk around the backyard naked!) How do you potty train when no potty is present?

I'll always remember the Sunday roast....and the glorious addition of my moon-brownies as she so affectionately named them. She was so gracious about that entire incident...considering she had lunch guests there that day. She never let me live that down.

She was always gracious and patient with me even when I didn't deserve it. I loved the way she always smiled when she saw me and how she said my name with such love. She's still so alive in my mind and heart. I still can hear her voice so clearly. It's hard to believe that she's not here. This is all hard yet therapuetic as we are quickly approaching the one year anniversary of her diagnosis. Wow...a year...yet it all seemed to fly by too quickly.

I know as you get more stories in you'll do a lot of laughing and crying. Let me know if you need me!
Shannon